The how and why’s of changing your hair routine.
Conventional shampoos and conditioners include a long list of ingredients, many of which are bad for the environment and for you. One such ingredient is sulfates.
Sulfates are what makes your shampoo produce its rich lather and it works by stripping your hair and scalp of all dirt, debris and odours. But, it also strips your hair of its natural oils, in the end, drying out your scalp.
To combat this, your scalp increases its oil production making your hair feel greasy, quicker.
When you stop using shampoos and conditioners with strong chemicals, your hair will need some time to adjust. This can take up to a few weeks for some, while for others, less.
1. Make your hair properly wet then work up a good lather with the soap cube. Do this by either rubbing the cube directly on your hair or by using your palms and then massaging the lather into your hair. (Lather both your scalp and hair ends)
2. Rinse your hair thoroughly until no soap residue is left. Think double the amount of water than what you'd normally use. If you feel like your hair is still dirty once dried, this is most likely just soap rests that are left lingering in your hair – just rinse again.
3. If you experience your hair feeling a bit rough while rinsing, this is normal. Some people will repeat the washing and rinsing twice to make their hair feel less rough. Up to you.
4. Let your cube dry out in between washes. If it can't, it will be harder to wash out from your hair.
Depending on hair type, after washing your hair with your Aárd cube, your hair might feel a bit coarse. This is due to the cube being alkaline in nature.
If you want a smoother feel, you'll need to reset your hair's pH-value. Meaning, rinsing it with something sour. This can be something like apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or hibiscus flower petals. This is called a sour-rinse (a.k.a. a natural conditioner). Here's how–
1. Mix 2 dl of water together with 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar in a bottle and shake.
2. After washing your hair with your Aárd cube and while your hair is still wet, pour some of the sour solution over your hair ends.
3. Let sit for a few minutes before rinsing your hair with water.